Thursday 14 January 2010

Writings from the igloo...


Well, on Tuesday I braved the elements and travelled back to Canterbury for university, which begins again on the 18th, and now I'm stocked up on enough food to last me until my loan comes in (hurrah!). I've already being a complete muppet and let the gas meter run out (by accident, of course), so now we don't have heating until some time tomorrow when my other housemate returns from Canada, hence why the bungalow's an igloo as far as I'm concerned!

I've brought a new laptop from the insurance money today, and am trying to learn the ins and outs of windows 7...oddly enough, I miss windows vista.
I've finally decided to stop procastinating and put some photos from my Christmas break up, so voila, you lovely people get to witness my godawful photography skills first-hand! Yes, that homo sapien, dear readers, is who's lurking behind the laptop screen...consider yourselves warned. ;)

So, back home in Reading, we had snow twice during the holidays. To have snow at all in Southern England is rare enough, but to have more than a sprinkling of snow? It's pretty incredible and has a touch of the magical about it. When I was travelling back on the train from Chaucerland, I passed many fields and woodland areas covered in snow...it was as if Narnia had jumped out of the book and was all around me (That's if there were any trains in the land of Narnia)! The second bout of snow fell on the 6th, just before my 20th birthday, and we got over 6 inches (it was up to my knees in places!), so I had snow for my birthday, which was just about the best thing you can expect to happen if you have a Winter birthday! I took a couple of photos of our garden before me and my sisters donned old clothes and went boogie-boarding down the slope (we are poor girls who can't afford sledges, so we make do with boards that are meant for 'surfing' the shallows of the sea). My mum did record a video of us acting like 5 year olds, but unfortunately this was on her camera, which got stolen with the laptops, so you won't be able to witness an embarrassing family video.









Oh, and before I forget, here's a photo of the heart decoration I made, and one of this beautiful tree decoration my Mum received from some lovely people at her work.
I'm really happy with how the heart tree decoration turned out, even if it was made from a kit; I wish I have some more of the patterned fabric! I could have made a purse or something with material like that...oh well, I'll probably find some cute fabric to *squee* over before long!


The penguin tree decoration was given by my Immy secret santa...he's adorable even if it looks like he's indulged in a few too many herrings!
Looking at all these festive pictures makes me wish it was Christmastime again... if only it was! It seems too soon to be the start of term soon!

1 comment: